Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mooky

The week of November 18 was a really hard week for Mooky. I am positive he did not have any sugar, gluten, soy, high fructose corn syrup, or msg. And yet, he was very fatigued with a lot of stomach pain, nausea and D.
He had a totally GF Thanksgiving meal on Thursday and Saturday, and then ate some ice cream with wheat in it. WHY do they put wheat in ice cream anyway? (Not that it matters.) It was his own fault because I gave him the responsibility for reading the label and he ate it anyway. He's FIFTEEN for crying out loud! Plenty old enough to handle that responsibility. And we are making an effort to not be the Food Police. He is having to take more responsibility and take the consequences as well. So, Sunday and Monday he was extra extra extra miserable, and still isn't feeling much better today. He admitted that it wasn't worth it, and wished he hadn't done it, so I suppose that is progress. "I suppose", because I am not convinced that he won't do it again if the opportunity presents itself.
BTW, both kids are perfectly capable of spotting gluten and soy in food labels. They can pronounce most of the difficult words you find on the labels (and know what each one is) and when we go grocery shopping they read labels on everything we buy. Outloud. We get some mighty strange looks at times! :o)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! Believe me, I know how hard it is. However, I think that step by slow step, he is progressing. There will come a time when he IS responsible and self-disciplined and he will be grateful to you for your training. You're doing a great job!

FourMileFarm said...

Thank you! I hope so.